RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Eureka 7

Reply to topic    LIME Anime Forums Forum Index » Need Help? » Playback Issues View previous topic
View next topic
Eureka 7
CATLICK
n00b

Post Reply with quote
Hello.

I've encountered an issue with subtitles while playing "Eureka Seven," episode 1, on MPC. Basically, once the first line of the sub displays on the screen, that line stays on the screen for the remainder of the playback and no other lines are ever displayed. The line is from the OP lyrics: in white, "The wind flows away..."; and in green, "Iroaseta keshiki wo."

The file is the 254MB, dual audio MKV.

I am using MPC, FFDshow-tryout, Haali's Media Spltter, AC3 Filter, VSFilter, Vista64. I was current on all codecs as of two weeks ago. Although I am using experimental versions of some, I have no problems viewing subs on any other video files. Please note that I do not have any other "Eureka Seven" or Lime subbed files; I downloaded this one just to sample the show.

What would you advise?
Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:38 am View user's profile Send private message
kemuri-_9
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
hmm.... are you using a daily build of ffdshow or one of the x64 builds (which are experimental as well)?
if you are using an x64 build, it doesn't work with 32 bit programs which would be most video players at this time (might just say 'what good is it then?' - there are currently some 64 bit video editing programs where it comes in handy)

also make sure you don't have a conflict between ffdshow trying to render the subtitles and vsfilter.

could you check to make sure that vsfilter loads (should see a green arrow appear on the system tray) when you play the file.
if not, that's a problem
if so, could you check the properties of the vsfilter dll and get the version # (should be 1.0.1.3 or something close to that)

lemme know how it goes then...

Folding@Home Stats
Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:20 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CATLICK
n00b

Post Reply with quote
kemuri-_9 wrote:
hmm.... are you using a daily build of ffdshow or one of the x64 builds (which are experimental as well)?
if you are using an x64 build, it doesn't work with 32 bit programs which would be most video players at this time (might just say 'what good is it then?' - there are currently some 64 bit video editing programs where it comes in handy)

also make sure you don't have a conflict between ffdshow trying to render the subtitles and vsfilter.

could you check to make sure that vsfilter loads (should see a green arrow appear on the system tray) when you play the file.
if not, that's a problem
if so, could you check the properties of the vsfilter dll and get the version # (should be 1.0.1.3 or something close to that)

lemme know how it goes then...

I believe that vsfilter is the problem, too. I happen to have vsfilter.dll, version 1.0.1.3, and I have installed vobsub , also. However, vobsub does not load (show a green arrow in the tray) unless a sub file separate from the video file is located in the same folder as that video file. I do not believe I am properly using dsfilter, then, because when vobsub does not load, the green arrow never displays in the tray, even though I use subs in many of my video files. I have tried placing MPC and vsfilter.dll in the same folder. I have also tried sticking vsfilter.dll into the system32 folder.

My ffdshow-tryout version is the official beta4, generic stable build, rev. 1723, 2007-12-24. I believe that this is a 32bit version. Also, I do not believe that there is a conflict between the various subtitle programs. I do not know how I can tell this is true except that only one subtitle ever displays per video file. In my system, vobsub seems to take over the subtitle duties only when a separate subtitle file exists; otherwise, ffdshow seems to do the job.

But the problem is not that the subtitle does not display--it does--the problem is that only one line ever displays and that line displays for almost the length of the episode--it just stays on the whole time once the OP singing begins. I have downloaded episodes 2 and 3 as well and they all share this curious problem. I do not have this problem watching any other video file that contains subs.

The likely culprit may be that I have not placed vsfilter.dll in its proper folder. Where should I have put this file?

Please continue to help me. And thank you for taking the time to respond. Very Happy
Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:38 am View user's profile Send private message
kemuri-_9
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
all right, you don't need both vobsub and vsfilter.
vsfilter is actually a combination of gabest's textsub and vobsub filters that were originally separate, that's how vsfilter can handle .ssa, .srt ,& .ass (textsub) and .idx/.sub (vobsub) playback within and outside of video files (granted they have the same name before the extensions when separate for automatic loading)
so go ahead and uninstall vobsub, i vaguely remember a conflict when i had both installed long ago.

you can place vsfilter anywhere you like, but to install it, you run windows' service registering program.
1. let's say you place vsfilter into C:\Program Files\directvobsub
2. open up a command prompt by typing cmd in the run menu box (if that doesn't work use command)
3. navigate to where you placed it with the cd (change directory) command, which would be cd "C:\Program Files\directvobsub" for this case
4. from the command prompt run windows service registering program regsvr32 on the vsfilter dll: regsvr32 vsfilter.dll (or whatever the .dll is named)
it should then now automatically load when playing video files if you got a box from regsvr32 saying it was a success

Uninstalling it is exactly the same process but instead of just regsvr32, you do regsvr32 /u

it also seems that you're using ffdshow for subtitles, which is enabled/disabled in the video decoder configuration panel of it.
but text and vobsub are still existent, within it so you need to enable those if you're using it through ffdshow
1. on Subtitles > Text - "Accept Embedded Subtitles" & "Accept SSA, ASS, and ASS2 subtitles" need to be checked
2. on Subtitles > Vobsub - "Enable" needs to be checked.

if it doesn't work with ffdshow, then disable its subtitle rendering and let vsfilter handle it

Folding@Home Stats
Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CATLICK
n00b

Post Reply with quote
kemuri-_9 wrote:
all right, you don't need both vobsub and vsfilter.
vsfilter is actually a combination of gabest's textsub and vobsub filters that were originally separate, that's how vsfilter can handle .ssa, .srt ,& .ass (textsub) and .idx/.sub (vobsub) playback within and outside of video files (granted they have the same name before the extensions when separate for automatic loading)
so go ahead and uninstall vobsub, i vaguely remember a conflict when i had both installed long ago.

you can place vsfilter anywhere you like, but to install it, you run windows' service registering program.
1. let's say you place vsfilter into C:\Program Files\directvobsub
2. open up a command prompt by typing cmd in the run menu box (if that doesn't work use command)
3. navigate to where you placed it with the cd (change directory) command, which would be cd "C:\Program Files\directvobsub" for this case
4. from the command prompt run windows service registering program regsvr32 on the vsfilter dll: regsvr32 vsfilter.dll (or whatever the .dll is named)
it should then now automatically load when playing video files if you got a box from regsvr32 saying it was a success

Uninstalling it is exactly the same process but instead of just regsvr32, you do regsvr32 /u

it also seems that you're using ffdshow for subtitles, which is enabled/disabled in the video decoder configuration panel of it.
but text and vobsub are still existent, within it so you need to enable those if you're using it through ffdshow
1. on Subtitles > Text - "Accept Embedded Subtitles" & "Accept SSA, ASS, and ASS2 subtitles" need to be checked
2. on Subtitles > Vobsub - "Enable" needs to be checked.

if it doesn't work with ffdshow, then disable its subtitle rendering and let vsfilter handle it

After tinkering with Vista's UAC, simply running the dllregisterserver command fixed the problem. Afterwards, there was no compatibility issue with any other video file on my system. Thank you very much for your help. I viewed the first episode and the show looks promising. Sky surfing mecha battles and a cute blue haired girl whose hair is swept beautifully to the side with hair pins are positives. Also, the LIME team did a fantastic job translating this episode. I don't know about translation accuracy, but your team's writing really flowed well in a natural way and it was easy for me to get into the story. Thank you all for your great work. Good luck guys. Bye. Very Happy
Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
kemuri-_9
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
heh, thanks for the credit, but it's not ours, it's just a DVDRip from the DVDs that Bandai entertainment has released for the US.
so the translation goes to them.

Folding@Home Stats
Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:48 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CATLICK
n00b

Post Reply with quote
kemuri-_9 wrote:
heh, thanks for the credit, but it's not ours, it's just a DVDRip from the DVDs that Bandai entertainment has released for the US.
so the translation goes to them.

My goodness, this is a surprise. I have spent over a thousand dollars on anime dvds and, in my experience, translations and subbing by the licensed entities tend to be handled in a clumsy way compared to the efforts of high quality fansub groups; this is why I assumed that LIME did the work here. I did not fail to notice, however, that the subbing job on the OP and ED were done in a simple way--this should have tipped me off, heh. :p I see that the dvds are available from Blockbuster, so I'll watch the rest of the anime off the source media. Regardless, I thank you again for your help with vsfilter and your efforts to bring anime to English speakers. Very Happy
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    LIME Anime Forums Forum Index » Need Help? » Playback Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: