RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
name translation in wulong#01
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    LIME Anime Forums Forum Index » Current Fansubs » Fighting Beauty Wulong View previous topic
View next topic
name translation in wulong#01
tokens
n00b

Post name translation in wulong#01 Reply with quote
for lack of not knowing where to post, will just post this in general chat.

just watched wulong. found a few minor translations errors. asides from that, there are some wrong name translations that i believe is translated wrongly. xao linshen is incorrect, as far as the chinese names go. should be cao linyin instead, if hanyu pinyin is used. her father is cao dexing. grandfather is cao fushen. in chinese, we don't have silent "u" sounds.

one last thing. cao family temple is a loose translation of the chinese words. the pinyin form is cao jia ba ji quan dao chang. it should translate to cao bajiquan dojo. however, i don't understand what that bajiquan means. my opinion is that it's a wrong word used by the producer. should have been tai. i.e. taijiquan, a well known martial arts form in china. so the name should have been cao taijiquan dojo.

i'm chinese, so i can spot these mistakes. however, i'm not an expert on chinese either. just can read some basic chinese.

-----------------------------------------------------------
edited to fill in more name translations.

Last edited by tokens on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Riza|Hawkeye
Retired Founder

Post Reply with quote
::moved::

we appreciate the feedback, and we know there are little mistakes (thats why we have a request for more staff on the main page)

as for the name... Xao is pronounced EXACTLY the same as cao (or in japanese shao).
we didnt feel the need to change it to cao or shao. the main reason being Xao is (and looks like) a chinese name, and we want to get the point accross that it is actually about a chinese style.

as for Linshen, and Linyin, we know about this translation difference, but decided to stick with Linshen.

apart from that above, tokens, would you be interested in joining us in translating Wulong?

you clearly know what you are talking about, and you would be a huge asset to this group (especially in the wulong project)

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
tokens
n00b

Post Reply with quote
err, thanks for the compliment, but i'm afraid i can't at the moment. busy with projects until at least june.. Sad also, i don't really understand japanese at all, except for the minor phrases.

hmm, afaik, chinese pronunciation doesn't have the "xao" form, because they have quite different pronunciations. maybe it sounds correct to non-chinese, but to me, it's just kinda weird. and shen mean sound. ying means pitch (or kind of). it's subtly different.

anyway, all the above are just my opinions. feel free to ignore them. i'm thankful for u guys/gals releasing wulong. had been wanting to check it out.
Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
xess
Limey Lover

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. We are aware of the naming issue. The thing is with Cao Lin Yin, the Japanese producers themselves put the wrong kanji for the name. The katakana pronunciation guide in the brackets spell out Shao Lin Shen for her name. We had some discussion over a middle ground for the names since we were working with 3 languages, English, Japanese and Chinese. We just decided to go with an aesthetic look instead of using direct pinyin since pinyin pronunciation is different from English as Cao would be pronounced like Cow in English.

Well, I'm sure you noticed that the Japanese can never ever spell anything in English right. I doubt they can spell anything in Chinese right either.
Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
tokens
n00b

Post Reply with quote
jeez, i didn't know that cao would be pronunced as cow in english! that's real funny! Laughing

well, yeah the japanese do not always get their kanji right. problem is that sometimes their kanji have different pronunciations and meanings from the chinese words.
Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
halo1322
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
tokens wrote:
well, yeah the japanese do not always get their kanji right. problem is that sometimes their kanji have different pronunciations and meanings from the chinese words.

Something I am becoming painfully aware of as I endevour to learn to read Japanese... Shocked

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
VoodooMustDie
n00b

Post Re: name translation in wulong#01 Reply with quote
tokens wrote:

one last thing. cao family temple is a loose translation of the chinese words. the pinyin form is cao jia ba ji quan dao chang. it should translate to cao bajiquan dojo. however, i don't understand what that bajiquan means. my opinion is that it's a wrong word used by the producer. should have been tai. i.e. taijiquan, a well known martial arts form in china. so the name should have been cao taijiquan dojo.

Bajiquan is the same as taijiquan. I'm a martial artist so I know a lil bit about these things, my friend knows a lot more than I do since he taught me. But there are tons of different chinese to english translations. There are so many different spellings, not to mention the cantonese and mandarin to english. So Cao, Shao, and Xiao, would be correct from the many books and websites that I've been reading from. A matter of fact, from what I can tell, it's all good as long as you get the pronunciation right. So cao (cow to most english readers) wouldn't be such a great idea.
Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:14 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zalis
Lime-Anime Staff

Post Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for the input--it's my hope that we aren't one of those fansub groups that say, "How dare you question our work, U R TEH BANNED!"

I for one appreciate the help, since I don't really know anything about Chinese at all. If you can't join the team, please continue this kind of feedback, so that we can continue to improve.

I think I mentioned this in IRC--some of the kanji in that sign say "Ultimate Fist," so I think that should be included in the name of the dojo. At least that's what I found when I looked them up.
Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:33 am View user's profile Send private message
tokens
n00b

Post Re: name translation in wulong#01 Reply with quote
VoodooMustDie wrote:

Bajiquan is the same as taijiquan. I'm a martial artist so I know a lil bit about these things, my friend knows a lot more than I do since he taught me. But there are tons of different chinese to english translations. There are so many different spellings, not to mention the cantonese and mandarin to english. So Cao, Shao, and Xiao, would be correct from the many books and websites that I've been reading from. A matter of fact, from what I can tell, it's all good as long as you get the pronunciation right. So cao (cow to most english readers) wouldn't be such a great idea.

i see.. i stand corrected. did a check on google and the results turned up... hhehe, should have http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/ before shooting my mouth off...

yeah, xiao would be correct. xao is just plain, weird, imo... shao and xiao would be dialectic pronunciations though. websites, sometimes, just aren't that correct.

but at the least, do not use "temple" to mean dojo... most times, they aren't the same...
Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
xess
Limey Lover

Post Reply with quote
Actually, I agree that Xao is just plain weird. I'm chinese myself (but not from China) and thought that we should have just gone for Shao since that's how the Japanese in this show spell it. But I'm just QC for this show, so the naming thing isn't my decision.
Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mizutohiki
n00b

Post Reply with quote
hello

i have a question :
why you write "karen" in kakuto bijin wulong, when we heard "keran"?
exemple fbw number 4 in 18.30 min
And other

thx
Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
Riza|Hawkeye
Retired Founder

Post Reply with quote
the name is actually Karen
there is no such a name as "Keran", and although we put "Keran" in episode 01, we fixed it in episode 2+

i believe it has something to do with accents and how things are pronounced, but i cant clarify that as im not a translator

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mizutohiki
n00b

Post Reply with quote
if you are sure, i trust you
thx for your answer
Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
xess
Limey Lover

Post Reply with quote
It's something like this. Translate English -> Japanese -> English and funny things happen like Keran. The Japanese kana is phonetic, so when transcribing Karen, you'd get the romanization Keran in Japanese. This kinda reminds me of iichan's translation of Victorian Romance Emma, where Jones ended up as Jounes simply because the manga spells it that way. And this Jones fellow was supposed to be a Londoner. Do a white pages search of Jounes in London and it'll return 0 results.

For chinese names, the romanization has always been quite random. In China, they use the pinyin romanization used by the government and learnt in school to transcribe names. Here in Malaysia, we use something closer to English pronunciations because of British influence probably and also different dialects have different pronunciations. Like 小 would be Xiao in Mandarin, probably spelt Siaw here, and Shao in Japanese.

Mon May 01, 2006 1:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mizutohiki
n00b

Post Reply with quote
thanks you Smile
It's just for me and other member of my fansub team (french)
To know what is it "karen"
And thanks to you i can play with this for futur animes Smile

Ganbatte for fighting beauty wulong
(do you sub fbw s2 after s1?)
Mon May 01, 2006 8:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    LIME Anime Forums Forum Index » Current Fansubs » Fighting Beauty Wulong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: